FLACKWELL Heath knocked 10-man Cirencester Town out of the FA Cup at the Preliminary stage after a 2-0 win at Wilks Park.

Matt Ayres poked the hosts into the lead just before the hour and any hopes Cirencester had of a comeback were dealt a significant blow 20 minutes from time when Josh Nelmes was sent off for his reaction to a foul on teammate Nick Peare. 

The Centurions pushed for an equaliser but Joshua Odumuso struck with five minutes to play to secure the victory for the Heathens, who are in the hat for the first-round qualifying draw on Monday.

During the early stages both sides probed and tested one another and play became scrappy as neither side was able to keep possession for long.

The Heathens had the first real chance when the speedy Kieran Jordan got in behind the Cirencester defence before seeing his goal-bound shot cleared off the line by a covering Nelmes. 

Visiting keeper Stuart Nelson was then called into action to make a smart save from  Marcus Mealing as the hosts continued to press for an opener. Nelson would go on to make two more stops before the break to deny both Jack Shakespeare and Callum Mapley. 

After the break, the game remained a little cagey before the deadlock was broken by the hosts. A cross from the right led to a number of blocks in the penalty area before Ayres scrambled the ball over the line. 

Cirencester boss John Brough made a couple of changes in response to going behind but they were unable to fashion a chance to equalise and their task became even more difficult in the 70th minute. 

Cirencester's Peare was flattened by a late challenge from Mealing and in a bit of a scuffle, Nelmes pushed Flackwell's Mealing to the floor and the referee showed him the red card. 

Cirencester re-organised and continued to press forward in search of an equaliser.

Peare had a header saved and Will Christopher had a shot blocked but that was as close as they came and there slim chances of clawing themselves level were finally put to bed when Odumuso cut in from the left and placed his left-footed shot inside the far post.