Swindon Town beat Forest Green 2-1 on Tuesday night to keep their play-off hopes alive and damage already promoted Rovers' title bid.

An attack-laden first half produced an abundance of goalscoring chances, but it was Swindon who made the most of their opportunities.

Rovers’ Jordan Moore-Taylor threatened with a header off the post but the home side responded to take control of proceedings by scoring two goals before the interval.

Louie Barry rounded off a counter-attack to put the hosts ahead in the 15th minute, before Jack Payne struck five minutes before half-time to double their lead.

Swindon were reduced to 10 men as Ellis Iandolo was shown a second yellow card for a foul on the halfway line, and the hosts then conceded as substitute Josh March pounced on Lewis Ward’s save to reduce the deficit minutes later.

The home side defended well despite a late barrage of attacks and held on and claim a much-needed victory that keeps them in the top six race.

Forest Green now only top the table on goal difference, after Exeter beat Barrow to confirm their own promotion.

Rovers manager Rob Edwards had expected his side to find it hard.

He said: “It was always going to be difficult tonight after the highs of Saturday.

“Swindon had to win and if I’m being honest I don’t think there was loads in the first half, I thought we didn’t have enough penetration but did have one or two chances.

“We got into some good areas but couldn’t turn them into goals which is unlike us over the course of the season.

“I’m disappointed with the way we conceded but I don’t think there is loads in the game.

“Swindon are a possession-based team but we had large spells with it as well. We just didn’t have quite enough penetration.

“I wanted to introduce some more legs at half-time and thought we started the second half very well.

“Obviously the red card completely changed the game because then they had to protect and we were totally on the front foot. We just weren’t able to get the second.”