10 years ago, divisions used to separate Forest Green Rovers and Bolton Wanderers but going into this match up, just two places stood between these two.

However, in what is only their second match up, it was Bolton who travelled back up North with all three, crucial points after an excellent Eoin Doyle volley secured the victory in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

The game got off to the worst possible start for Rovers as they lost top-scorer Jamille Matt through a nasty hand injury inside the opening five minutes.

Matt had to receive on-pitch medical assistance and was later stretchered off after receiving treatment, he was then replaced by Josh Davison.

Forest Green’s Kane Wilson had the first clear attempt on goal after 19 minutes following his interception of a loose pass in the middle of the pitch. Playing as a wide midfielder, Wilson picked up the ball and used his pace to squeeze a tight angled shot but the goalkeeper did well to get down low at his near-post to deny a first of the contest.

After a relatively quiet start to the contest, Lewis Thomas – who has been in fine form in recent matches – was called into action after 26 minutes. Bolton’s George Thomason let fly from range but his shot was something of a daisy cutter which allowed Thomas to make a comfortable save.

On 35 minutes, Aaron Collins picked the pocket of Thomason to run through clear on goal however the Rovers number 10 chose to pass to Davison in the Wanderers’ box who was subsequently dispossessed.

After 39 minutes, it was the away side who opened the scoring through a tremendous Doyle volley. Bolton’s top-scorer was able to showcase his attacking threat as he was left in plenty of space in the box and was able to volley home first time from close range.

Just before the hour mark, Collins had another sight of goal following some good, patient build up play by Rovers but he was crowded out by the Bolton defence and saw his effort fly over the woodwork.

Udoka Godwin-Malife was left visibly frustrated by his own pass on 79 minutes. The defender was played in behind the Bolton backline but his resulting ball across the box was scuffed into the side netting.

Rovers were, despite trying, unable to find a way back into the match as they registered their third straight game without scoring. Following the final whistle, the loss sees Bolton leapfrog Mark Cooper’s men as they dropped to fourth in the league.