SCOTT Twine’s double saw Swindon Town beat Fleetwood Town 2-0 at Highbury Stadium on Saturday.

The Swindon number 10 was impressive throughout and kicked off a thoroughly professional victory for John Sheridan’s men as early as the fifth minute.

Twine then capped off a brilliant afternoon in the second half as Swindon claimed just their third clean sheet of the campaign.

Victory also saw the Wiltshire side move out of the bottom four in League One and up into 19th after a day of favourable results elsewhere.

Sheridan made six changes for the trip to Fleetwood with another change in goalkeeper as well.

Lee Camp - the club's seventh stopper this term - made his Swindon debut while Ellis Iandolo, Akin Odimayo, Jack Payne, Christopher Missilou and Matty Palmer came in for Connal Trueman, Dion Conroy, Tom Broadbent, Jordon Garrick, Jordan Lyden and Joel Grant.

The changes did Swindon no harm at all as Sheridan’s men took the lead after just five minutes. Twine found himself free down the right after a ball over the top, and it looked as though the chance had gone after he declined the chance to volley first time with his right.

But the striker kept his composure, turned back inside onto his left and dragged a shot inside Cairns' left-hand post.

Fleetwood captain, Callum Connolly headed wide from a corner inside the first 10 minutes, but it was the visitors who almost doubled their lead after a superb cross in from Paul Caddis saw Brett Pitman lay off for the on-rushing Jack Payne.

Payne took a touch and should have finished it, but he dithered for half a second too long and the chance was well blocked out.

The visitors had to fend off brief spells of pressure from the Cod Army, but it was mostly Sheridan’s men who made the majority of the early running.

Odimayo had not sparkled of late, but his opening half was his best 45 minutes for a long time. He cut out a number of dangerous moments while getting forward on occasion as well. On one such occasion, his cross was just too high for Pitman as Swindon scampered forward.

Payne was next to go close for Swindon after sending his marker for an early half-time pie. The diminutive midfielder charged towards goal before finding Pitman.

Tidy build-up play resulted in Twine laying the ball off to Payne for a shot on the edge, but the effort was curled off target.

Moments later, Swindon won the ball high in midfield and Missilou eventually found Twine on the left.

He cut in and passed onto Palmer, but the powerful strike went just the wrong side of the post, from a visiting persuasion.

Eight minutes after the break, Swindon were afforded a huge slice of good fortune. Anthony Grant tried a risky pass that was cut out on halfway, and after Kyle Vassell found Ged Garner, the striker could only roll his right-footed effort against the post.

Seven minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead following a scrappy period of play. The goal perhaps summed up that phase as it could not be filed under goals that feature fine, flowing football.

Payne tried his luck from distance, but it was deflected into the path of Twine who was all alone inside the box. The striker simply took a touch with his right before finishing with aplomb into the far corner.

Swindon continued to look confident and create chances at Highbury. With 20 minutes to play, substitute Jordan Lyden collected a ball down the left off Thompson, and after the cross was half headed away, Caddis came in for a shot from right-back. It was a tough chance, and the effort went over on the half-volley.

Twine was hunting his hat-trick late on, but a second poor free-kick of the afternoon signalled it was not to be his day in that regard.

Another man who suffered a disappointing end to his day was Jordan Lyden. The substitute only lasted 13 minutes before being replaced by Jordon Garrick.

As Fleetwood searched for a glimmer of hope, they almost found it when Wes Burns emerged in a shooting position after shifting past Iandolo down the right edge of the box.

The shot was on target but hit without much power, and Camp was able to pat the ball down before Thompson cleared.

As four minutes of added time was shown, Kyle Vassell headed a glorious chance wide after peeling away from the attentions of Ellis Iandolo. The moment summed up both sides’ day as Swindon could seemingly do no wrong while the opposite was true for the Cod Army.

FTFC starting XI: Cairns, Andrew, Connolly (c), Burns, Rossiter, Vassell, Finley, Batty, Garner, Holgate, Hill.

SUBS: Coleman, Camps, Saunders, Donacien, Biggins, Ryden, Morris.

STFC starting XI: Camp, Caddis, Pitman (c), Twine, Iandolo, Odimayo, Payne, Missilou, Palmer, Thompson, A Grant.

SUBS: Matthews, Smith, Garrick, Lyden, J Grant, Curran, Hope.