A Carlos Mendes Gomes header on 93 minutes proved enough to deny Forest Green a tight victory at the top of League Two as they were held to a 2-2 draw to Morecambe on Tuesday evening.

Aaron Collins and Jamille Matt both saw their efforts cancelled out by the visitors as Mark Cooper’s men remain third in the league standings.

In games that are so important for both sides to win, they often disappoint during the early stages as the teams try to get to grips with each other – that was certainly not the case in this contest.

The opening stages of the game were electric and it was clear to see that both sides were determined to claim a vital three points.

After a frantic start to the match, it was the home side that took the lead on the 10-minute mark.

A pin-point Kane Wilson cross met Collins who remained the calmest in the ground as he turned and volleyed emphatically into the far-left side of the Morecambe goal.

Wilson continued to remain a potent threat in Rovers’ attack and nearly scored himself after 20 minutes. The wing-back made a darting run into the right-hand side of the Shrimps’ box but his effort rifled into the side netting.

As was to be expected after the high-octane start, the goals didn’t stop after the Collins opener and on 22 minutes Morecambe levelled the scores. A deflected cross was trapped dead in the Rovers box by Cole Stockton who had time to turn and fire his shot under Luke McGee.

After already being hit fairly hard with injury concerns, it looked as though there could have been more bad news for Forest Green just before the half-an-hour mark.

Jamille Matt appeared to be kicked out at during a fifty-fifty scrap and subsequently required treatment on his leg.

However, to the delight of Mark Cooper and Forest Green fans, the Rovers top-scorer rallied on.

Naturally after such a fast-paced opening, the game fizzled out somewhat.

Mendes Gomes and Aaron Wildig both had decent opportunities to give Morecambe the lead before the break but saw their resulting efforts fired deep into the South-Stand.

On 55 minutes, a frantic pin-ball in the Forest Green box was defended resolutely to keep the scores level.

A long ball into the home team’s area caused some issues but the Rovers backline and McGee put their bodies on the line to deny a barrage of efforts.

John O’Sullivan had a glorious opportunity from point blank range to get Morecambe in front after 64 minutes.

A fine cross from Wildig located the diving head of O’Sullivan but he somehow headed into the ground, allowing a relieved McGee to watch the ball bounce onto the roof of his net.

A Forest Green game is rarely complete without a goal from Matt and this match was no difference. On 79 minutes, following a fantastic Collins cross, the towering target man headed in from close to net his sixteenth of the season.

However, deep into second half injury time, Morecambe scored the fourth and final goal of the evening.

A hoofed effort forward saw McGee and Mendes Gomes contest for the ball but it was the Shrimps’ top scorer who won the tussle and headed into an empty net.