SWINDON Town lost 2-0 to Portsmouth on a bitterly cold night at Fratton Park on Tuesday.

After an early goal from Ronan Curtis, Pompey netted their second through an Ellis Harrison penalty shortly after the hour mark as Town lost for the 18th time in 28 League One matches.

Pompey were in control throughout on the south coast – highlighted by the fact the hosts had seven shots on target to the visitors 0.

John Sheridan’s men now head into a west-country derby with Bristol Rovers off the back of two straight defeats.

Town made two changes to the side that lost by a goal against Shrewsbury Town on Saturday.

Dion Conroy completed his one-game suspension and replaced the injured Conor Masterson while Christopher Missilou made his first Town start in place of the injured Jordan Lyden.

Meanwhile, former Pompey striker Brett Pitman also started - he was certainly looking to prove a point to former manager Kenny Jackett after a significant falling out last summer.

If Town were looking for a hot start against Portsmouth on a bitterly cold night, they didn’t get it.

After early shots on target from Marcus Harness and Ronan Curtis, it was the latter who put the hosts in front in the ninth minute.

A free-kick was swung in from the left by Charlie Daniels and Curtis was there to volley in at the back post.

Pompey continued to press for another and nearly doubled their lead with 20 minutes played. Daniels' ball in was cleared as far as Andy Cannon, who took a touch before smashing goalwards on the volley.

A brilliant save from Mark Travers turned it over, however, from just underneath the cross bar, From the second corner, Sean Raggett headed well wide.

With 10 minutes to go until half-time, Portsmouth hit the target once again through left-back, Daniels.

Ryan Williams burst away from Dion Conroy with a nice burst of pace before drilling a low cross into the middle for John Marquis.

It missed him but made its way out to Daniels who smashed straight at Travers from the edge of the box.

Just before half-time, Town finally found their groove in an attacking sense and created a couple of half-chances of their own.

Good work from Pitman helped to dispossess Daniels before the ball was crossed into the middle by Rob Hunt.

Jordon Garrick laid off to Jack Payne to shoot, but his effort was blocked out for a corner. From that corner, Payne collected from Hunt once again before cutting in and driving well off target.

It was Pompey who finished the half stronger though, after Daniels slipped a ball inside to Williams who in turn clipped a cross towards Curtis in the box.

The Irishman took a touch before lashing an effort goalwards - only a brave block from Conroy prevented a second Pompey goal.

From the corner, Raggett wanted a penalty for a foul on him, but nothing was given and Town survived until half-time.

After the break, it was Payne who had the first real chance of the second half after Matt Palmer went through Tom Naylor to win the ball and Payne found himself free 30 yards out.

The midfielder couldn't repeat that stunner against MK Dons though, blasting a couple of yards over the bar from outside the box.

Town were next to go close too after Missilou – who grew into the game well – curled a right-footed effort off Craig MacGillivray’s left-hand post.

The goalkeeper just stood there, rooted to his spot as the shot came in, but Town’s luck was not in.

Despite good pressure from the visitors, it was Pompey who would double their lead just after the hour when Dom Thompson gave away a penalty for a foul on Callum Johnson.

The right-back made a darting run into the box and Thompson leant on the defender, pushing him to the ground before the referee pointed to the spot.

Substitute Ellis Harrison simply stepped up and rolled his spot-kick down the middle as Travers dived away to his left.

With 15 minutes remaining, Pompey won a corner after Curtis' shot was poked away.

When the ball came in, all the home players went up in unison as Travers came to claim the ball, missed it, and took Harrison out.

Nothing was given though, and Town survived without any further punishment.

Town substitute Scott Twine side footed over for the visitors, but that was as close as Swindon came on a night with no shots on target.

PFC starting XI: MacGillivray, Johnson, Bolton, Raggett, Daniels, Harness, Naylor, Cannon, Curtis, Williams, Marquis.

SUBS: Ward, Brown, Mnoga, Byers, White, Harrison, Hiwula.

STFC starting XI: Travers, Hunt, Conroy, Odimayo, Thompson, Missilou, Palmer, Payne, Garrick, Hope, Pitman.

SUBS: Matthews, Caddis, Twine, Iandolo, Curran, Omotoye, Broadbent.