BRETT Pitman’s last-gasp header rescued a point for Swindon Town as John Sheridan’s men drew 2-2 with Charlton Athletic at the County Ground on Saturday.

Town took the lead thanks to Diallang Jaiyesimi’s goal midway through the first half, but were pegged back just before the break when Omar Bogle bundled home.

Lee Bowyer’s men took the lead in the second half after a wonderfully-worked goal saw substitute, Chuks Aneke tap home – only for substitute Brett Pitman to nod home a corner in the 90th minute.

Despite a positive result in the end, a draw means Town have now failed to win for five League One games in a row now.

John Sheridan made two changes to the side that lost narrowly at Doncaster Rovers last Tuesday night.

Anthony Grant and Tyler Smith came back in for Jack Payne and Hallam Hope - meanwhile, defender Rob Hunt came back into the squad after his back issues.

Charlton’s squad was packed with quality throughout, with Welsh international Jonny Williams having to make do with a spot on the bench.

Conor Washington had the first real chance of the afternoon as he charged forward uncontested before curling wide from the left edge of the box.

A very tame opening 25 minutes that featured very few other attacking opportunities was finally injected with some life when Town opened the scoring through Jaiyesimi.

With Jonny Smith and Matt Smith declining to shoot earlier on in the move, the ball eventually fell to Akin Odimayo on the right via Matt Smith.

Odimayo zipped a pass into Dion Conroy who had Jaiyesimi to his right. Conroy delayed the pass for a fraction of a second before laying off to Jaiyesimi.

Town’s goalscorer turned back onto his left before blasting the ball into the top corner from a tight angle.

Following two missed chances from corners, Charlton levelled the score after an avoidable error from the previously excellent Zeki Fryers – the kind of mistakes that are stalling Town’s ascent up the table.

The ball was played forward from Ian Maatsen, and Fryers tried to clear with the outside of his left foot instead of side footing the ball with his right.

The ball consequently found its waythrough to Bogle who rode the challenge of Matej Kovar to bundle home the equaliser after just about rounding the stopper.

Moments later, Charlton had a golden chance to go ahead as a low, driven ball in from the left came towards Bogle, who was as free as a bird in the Town area.

The striker was too cute with his effort though, and he somehow slipped it past the far post with the goal gaping.

An exciting end to the first half saw Odimayo’s cross from the right just evade Tyler Smith and Jaiyesimi before Town wasted a good opportunity to go back in front.

A late corner was swung in deep by Jonny Smith and Grounds headed the ball back into a good area. With Matt Smith and Grant converging, the latter should have left it for the former, but Grant attempted to shoot off balance and the ball went well wide.

And five minutes into the second half, Grant wasted a fantastic opportunity to give Town the lead.

After Jaiyesimi did well to win a corner, the ball came in low and broke for Grant around the edge of the box.

Grant was forced to hit it first time, but he caught it far too well and it went over.

Though Town were giving as good as they got in an attempt to score the next goal, it was Charlton who took the lead in the 61st minute.

A swift move cut through Town like a hot knife through butter as several players exchanged passes around the box before Alex Gilbey squared for Aneke to tap home.

There were cries for offside in the build-up, but the officials were happy with their decision despite Town protests.

Sheridan took Tyler Smith off for Brett Pitman shortly after the goal, and Odimayo was booked as frustration grew among the supporters.

Jaiyesimi sliced a shot well off target with his left from outside the box as the clock ticked towards 80. Moments later, Aneke curled straight at Kovar from just inside the box.

Swindon huffed and puffed in the final 10 minutes to create one last chance, but Amos confirmed his status as one of the best goalkeepers in League One by dealing with everything that entered his box, until added time went up.

With four minutes signalled on the board, Matt Smith’s corner was nodded in off the bar by Pitman to rescue a point for Town.

STFC starting XI: Kovar, Fryers, Conroy, Grounds, Odimayo, Baudry, A Grant, M Smith, J Smith, Jaiyesimi, T Smith.

Subs: Fryers, Caddis, Pitman, Payne, Curran, Hunt, Hope.

CAFC starting XI: Amos, Gunter, Pearce, Forster-Caskey, Gilbey, Washington, Pratley, Bogle, Maddison, Maatsen, Watson.

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Purrington, Oshilaja, Williams, Aneke, Matthews, Levitt.