It was a triumphant return to the track for Malmesbury's Louis Harvey as he won on his first return to the track since lockdown restrictions were lifted.

A nice warm day welcomed over 36 Junior TKM drivers to Shenington Kart Club for the first race weekend to be held there since the Covid crisis stopped all motorsport.

Louis was delighted to be back out racing and despite a few setbacks in heat one, managed to take the chequered flag in the final for the win.

Due to the large number entered for the Junior TKM class the event was split into four heats and a final with each competitor racing in three of the heats to qualify for grid position for the final race.

Harvey’s heat one saw him start from 15th on the grid and after a fantastic start and first lap, he was very quickly up with the front runners.

By lap five he was leading the field, a position he held until lap 8 when he dropped back to 4th.

Harvey battled back, finishing in 2nd place whilst setting the fastest lap in the process.

Unfortunately, he had dislodged his nose cone early in the race resulting in a five second penalty and was also subjected to a further five second penalty post-race dropping him right back down the field to 17th place.

Undeterred, Harvey started his second heat from the very back of the grid and knew he had a lot of work to do to get a good result.

By the end of lap one he was already making good progress through the field and gained ten places.

Harvey battled on and was up to 6th place by lap 6, however there was now a large bap to the front runners.

He continued to close the gap but was only able to gain one more place to cross the line in 5th, making up a total of twenty one places and once again setting the fastest lap.

Harvey’s third heat saw him starting from the front, with the hope of driving away from the field.

However, a strong challenge from Cresswell and Roffe saw the three drives swapping places for the entire heat and racing for the finishing line together, all crossing the line virtually side by side with Harvey having to settle for 3rd place.

With the results from the heats added up, Harvey started 9th in the final, with some very fast drivers ahead of him.

This made for a very exciting final with Harvey moving through the field and up to 3rd by lap three.

By lap six he had taken the lead but Cresswell made a nice move on lap seven to retake the lead.

Harvey decided to work with Cresswell to try and push away from the pack, but they were unable to shake the chasing drivers.

Harvey made a move for the lead on lap fourteen and was able to hold the lead with some great defensive driving before crossing the finish line and taking the win for the Klaassen Motorsport team on his ARC Shadow chassis.