Cirencester 26 -18 Gloucester Old Boys

DIRECTOR of rugby Andrew Deacon lauded Cirencester’s performance after they bounced back from last week’s defeat against Fairford.

Deacon said: “It was a much-needed win, after two recent losses, the group will gain confidence from the result, which will stand us in good stead moving forward. We all recognise that we have a lot to work on, and improvements to make. I was especially pleased with skipper Ollie Gibson`s contribution, and the try he scored was out of the top drawer; number eight Andrew Field is improving all the time. Half backs Oli Newman, and Mike Howell both played their part, centre Ben Ramsey is getting back into some decent form.

"The guys will go away and work with coaches in the week, to analysis the performance, train hard and move forward together.”

Ciren came out of the blocks slowly enabling the away side to take a early three point lead with a well struck penalty. But straight from the kick-off the Ciren forwards and backs put their visitors under pressure and created numerous chances to score the opening try.

It finally came when Joe Chambers crashed over from fine lineout drive, with scrum half Mike Howell adding the conversion. This gave the men in red and black confidence, and they started to play with more continuity, which Old Boys could not cope with. 7-3 Penalties were starting to be conceded, from one such penalty the kick again went into the corner, and with a well-structured drive saw burly hooker Scott Cannon plunder the home sides second try, which again Howell who kicked magnificently all day kicking the conversion. 14-3 With the half-time whistle fast approaching, Old Boys gained a scrum close to the Ciren line, which was well defended initially, but from a second drive the Gloucester side scored their first try of the game making the half time score 14-10.

As the second half started the home side had it all to do. Step forward Cirencester captain Oliver Gibson who from the kick-off caught the ball brushed over several defenders, raced down the wing, chipped the oncoming winger, re-gathered a difficult bouncing ball to race way to score a truly remarkable try, and one of the best seen on the Whiteway in many a season. 19-10.

After the stunning opening second half score the second half became fractured affair not helped when Cirencester flanker Tom Dykes was sin-binned.

As the game entered the final quarter, Ciren number eight Andrew Field, who had a great game, made another dent in the away side’s defence with a forceful run, the ball was recycled and fed to his back-row partner Dykes who crashed over for the fourth try, and securing a five-point win.

In the last play, Old Boys did score their second try, making the final score 26-18.

The Gloucester1 League resumes on Saturday, October 19 with a fixture at Gordon League.