Stroud and District Cup Final

Dursley.......................................... 42


Cirencester ended their season in disappointment as they were beaten by Dursley in the Stroud and District Cup Final in Painswick on Saturday.

With a beautiful sunny day, the conditions were perfect for some entertaining running rugby.

From the start it was clear Dursley were going to use their powerful forwards to gain field position gaining turn overs and penalties from scrums to heap pressure on the Whiteway side.

The game started at break neck speed with both sides spilling ball at crucial times.

It was Dursley who went into a commanding 11-0 lead, putting them in the driving seat, and at this point in control.

Cirencester did hit back playing high tempo rugby with some great off loading, with back row forward Ryan Brookes to the fore.

Two well taken tries one from Cirencester winger Tom Grainger-Williams after a spectacular pass from fly half Iwan Thomas putting the flying winger away to score, with the conversation wide out added by Thomas suddenly the Cotswold club found themselves in front, and this was how it stayed until half time.

With Cirencester now going down the slope hopes were high they could gain further momentum at the start of the second half.

This would not be the case as Dursley scoring first, with a slick back line movement, this was quickly followed by their second of the half, Cirencester had to stop the scoring spree which they did with a Thomas penalty.

However, once again, Dursley immediately hit back with their fifth try of the game.

Cirencester did not stop attacking, which was rewarded by their third try, scored by full back Isoa Raione.

Dursley forwards were in no mood to let the victory slip and with two lineout drives to score the victory was deservedly theirs for a fifth season in a row.

Cirencester will rue the fact they spilled the ball to many times when in encouraging position, coupled this with a scrum that was under pressure all day long that nullified their attacking options.

It was the fifth straight cup win for Dursley.

Cirencester ended their league campaign on Saturday, April 13 with a 58-12 over Old Elizabethans.

Andy Deacon's side finished in fourth place in Gloucestershire 1.