Swindon Town 1 Yeovil 1


Swindon Town fans have been used to the disappointment of erratic displays all season but we had hoped that the last two performances had pointed to more consistency for the last few games, as we made a final push for a play-off spot. Not to be I’m afraid, and this game summed up all our frustrations.

A super first half from the Town – following on from last Saturday at Bury with slick, first time passing, finding the right men and creating opportunities.

Swindon were applying pressure throughout and a weak Yeovil team seemed to have very little to offer. The deserved breakthrough didn’t happen until the stroke of half-time when, after a Luke Woolfenden effort had struck the bar, Keshi Anderson was on hand to head home.

Town should have been three goals up by then and such a lead would have relieved the nerves that subsequently showed up late on. Theo Robinson had a number of good chances but for once lacked his usual sharpness.

The second half was totally different. Yeovil came out much more determined, presumably realising that just one point could make all the difference in their fight for survival. Town sat back more and didn’t create anywhere near the number of chances they had prior to the break. As the game wore on the visitors pressed forward and the crowd, let alone the players, were becoming edgy – presumably seeing déjà vu beckoning once more. Luke McCormick made a couple of vital saves and then, at the death, Adel Gaifiti scored the equaliser at the back post following a set piece. And this after Richie Wellens had attempted to shore up the defence by bringing on Tom Broadbent.

Bringing on Michael Doughty for the final twenty minutes did nothing except perplex both the substituted Anderson and most of the crowd. Giving Marc Richards a run-out in place of Robinson might have been a more positive move.

There were further good defensive performances from Dion Conroy, who seems to be getting better each game, and Luke Woolfenden. In midfield Danny Rose and Kyle Bennett dominated.

Town now face three away games on the trot, starting with Newport County on Tuesday. They sit four points away from the play-off places but are surrounded by a number of sides waiting for any slip ups by the teams above them.

Interesting absentee from the squad was keeper Lawrence Vigouroux, now returned from international duty with Chile. McCormick deservedly retained his place.