The joy we felt after last Saturday’s win was rather short-lived and it must have been a pretty quiet trip home on the team coach from Carlisle United on Saturday night.

Town had gone behind after only 13 minutes, when a tame shot by Hallam Hope had deflected off the leg of Dion Conroy to give Lawrence Vigouroux no chance.

After 30 minutes, Town replaced Keshi Anderson for Jak McCourt and they immediately looked far more dangerous coming forward.

In blustery rainy conditions, Swindon more than held their own, but just didn’t take their chances.

Their one goal, just before the break, was a superbly fashioned free kick over the wall by Kyle Bennett. Other than that, they really didn’t go very close.

Despite Town’s increased pressure, Carlisle scooped their winner 10 minutes from the end. Nathan Thomas was allowed too much time and space to get into the box and his blocked shot was followed up by Callum O’Hare.

Swindon had kept an unchanged team, something that perhaps the manager should have said less about. Prior to the game he mused that, on the previous two occasions this season when he had retained the same line up, Town had lost.

Richie Wellens is a forthright, passionate character but I’m sure not all his players can be that happy with his style of criticising specific individuals’ play, to the media, immediately following each game.

Of course, the manager has every right to criticise his players, but shouldn’t it be just a little less public.

All is not lost, despite Town now being six points from the play-offs as opposed to four points before the start. We would have all been quite happy to bring a single point back from Cumbria, so in reality we have lost very little – but it’s another opportunity gone begging.

Fortunately, three of the teams above us lost, so it could have turned out considerably worse. What is important is that Swindon win their game at Stevenage on Tuesday night and also their game in hand, which they still have on everyone.

Swindon are at home to Port Vale who, although fourth from the bottom, beat contenders Mansfield Town- so it won’t be straightforward.

Good news this week on the agreement that has been reached for ownership of the County Ground to be a joint venture between the Town Supporters Trust and the club.

Although this arrangement is unlikely to be concluded in the next twelve months, it is a huge step in the right direction to keep football where it has been played for over 100 years, and not moved to some soulless stadium outside the town. Hats off to the Trust for their perseverance and hard work.