Stratton Youth Round up

STRATTON YOUTH U/16S opened the scoring on four minutes when Connor Kilby in goal launched a massive kick down field causing panic, Taylor Wilden ran onto it to calmly slot home. The early goal seemed to give Stratton an extra focus & determination. An excellent free kick swung in by Harvey McCullie, unfortunately eluded a Stratton player to prod home. Stratton controlled the half 1-0. Neither a downpour or opposition was going to stop Stratton today, a real desire to win evident in their play.

Another chance for Stratton which fell to Josh Litttler-Jennings however Wootton’s keeper equal to it, turning the ball past the post. Ten minutes to go, a slightly nervous sideline was in awe of Stratton’s team performance, but then disaster! Two goals in quick succession from Wootton Bassett putting Stratton on the back foot for the first time in the match with minutes to go. However the game was never going to end this way, another brilliant delivery from a Harvey McCullie free kick met by the head of Taylor Wilden, looping over the keeper. 2-2.

Moments later the final whistle, a jubilant Stratton celebrating a thoroughly deserved point and the first of the season so far.

STRATTON YOUTH U/13’S followed up their fine display last weekend with a convincing win against Fairford & Lechlade Youth. Four first half goals thanks to Jasper Cleaver (two), Joe Lovell and a thumping strike from Charlie Miller, were followed up in the second half with a further 3 goals.

Goals including a third for Jasper Cleaver and one each for Zac Zamiri and Felix Beckett. The performance was backed up with a fine team performance and a particularly impressive performance from Hollie Giles in centre midfield. All credit to Fairford & Lechlade Youth who created a number of chances themselves and didn’t give up until the final whistle.

STRATTON YOUTH U/12S were in back in action with the slope and the wind in their favour at a blustery Lydiard Park in the first half, Some good early pressure gave a scoring chance to Brad Risby which he took with a well taken strike from inside 6 yds within the first couple of minutes of the match.

Ben Sysum went on a mazy run on the left wing beating a number of defenders and cutting a great cross back for Jonny Reynolds to slot in the second Stratton goal. 2-0 at half time with Stratton playing against the slope and wind in the second half the team kept the ball on the ground and passed the ball well resulting in a brilliantly taken chipped goal from Harvey Williams.

Abbeymead kept going themselves and as a result were awarded a penalty. Samuel Cooper saved the initial shot but couldn’t prevent the rebound going in from the advancing Abbeymead striker. Stratton didn’t let the penalty affect their confidence and continued to play good passing football, they were rewarded with a final goal to finish the match and run out 4-1 winners.

STRATTON YOUTH U/10S played another exciting fixture against Wanborough. The U/10s are not renowned for their quick starts to the game but they were sensational in the first quarter with some fantastic, fast-paced passing and movement in an end to end opening that also saw two great saves from Luke Dawson. At the start of the second quarter they were unfortunate to have a back pass decision given against them and, with no indirect free kicks at this level, the opposition smashed home from close range. It knocked the team and they didn’t show the same sense of anticipation and speed as they did in the first 12 mins. Wanborough’s number 10 had been causing lots of problems and he scored a great individual goal that looked as though it would take the game away from Stratton. However, after a great pass from Sam Potter, Ez Allen charged through and scored. The U/10s regained their confidence and were really unfortunate not to get an equaliser with Ez hitting the post. Dylan Morse was player of the match after a great display on the wing and in central defence.

STRATTON YOUTH U/10S BLUES secured their second victory of the season with a hard fought win at home against Abbey Meads. In an electric first quarter, Jack Cummins and Toby Stallard linked up well for Toby to score two great goals. Leighton Emson followed that up at the start of the second quarter with a great turn and shot after a fine ball from Will Wrigley gave Leighton the opportunity to attack. A really unfortunate own goal from Cory Stewart brought Abbey Mead back into it but Toby scored his third goal to quickly restore the advantage. Will and Leighton were both unlucky not to score before Abbey Mead grabbed two quick goals to make it a nervous last few minutes. The Blues deservedly held on for their second victory of the season. After conceding 65 goals in their first 8 matches they have won two of their last three and only conceded seven in that period. The development of a number of players, including Toby Robinson, Julian Gurung, Vivan Nembang, Ben Seakins and Harry Maloney is particularly impressive while Bertie Jarvis and Oscar Omerod are also doing very well. Player of the match went to Toby Stallard for his goal scoring feats.

STRATTON YOUTH U/9S latest league match was away to Croft U/9s. Played in excellent conditions, the match proved to be very open with many goal scoring opportunities. Croft took an early lead but were thwarted on other occasions by great saves from Josh Price and strong tackling from Harry Truckle. Croft then doubled their lead with a brilliant long range shot, before Stratton came back into the game. Liam Smith produced a neat finish to put Stratton on the score sheet and despite numerous chances late in the match, Stratton were unable to find an equaliser. Man of the match was Lucas Scotford for a fine contribution throughout the game.

STRATTON YOUTH U/7S played a great game at local rivals Cirencester the two teams had friendly rivalry, with friendships a plenty between the two sets of players. However it was the Stratton players who scored plenty of goals and a first clean sheet of the season. Ollie Saunders started the scoring, and helped himself to another 4 goals taking his tally to 5. Dan Price scored from a long shot and goals from Sion Jones and a final goal from Moses Allen helped.