Minety RFC lost out in a tightly contested final of the Dorset and Wiltshire Senior Vase to the Dorset Dockers from Christchurch 36 - 17.

For once this season, Coach Andy Grayson, was able to put out a near full strength Minety side as they endeavoured to win the Vase for the second time in four years.

It would be difficult for Minety as the Dockers had been in fantastic form, amassing 235 points in their last three games.

Minety immediately showed their intent to attack from defence, flanker Ben Sellick catching the kick off and running straight back at the heart of the Docker’s defence before fly half Tom McAllister, scrum half Garin Garland and full back Duncan Simpson combined to run the ball up to the half way line.

Minety’s enterprising start almost brought them the first score after just 5 minutes when Garin Garland collected from a line out and almost made it to the try line.

It was Dorset that opened the scoring with a penalty in the 16th minute, before they increased their lead 3 minutes later.

Strong and powerful running in midfield set up a chance for their right winger to burst through a tackle and touch down for the opening try and an 8 – 0 lead.

Minety came back strongly, Ben Sellick running at the defence before off-loading to centre Jack Howse but it came to little.

When McAllister spotted gaps in the defence his clever chip kick pushed the Dockers back onto their own line. Minety missed a chance to get on the board in the 30th minute when a long range penalty kick dropped short but they hit back two minutes later.

The Minety pack got back in to it, superbly led by captain Tom Claxton and No. 8 Andrew Hibbard, won a scrum against the head and then won a penalty in the Dockers 22.

Deep in 1st half added time Minety tried to run the ball out of defence but a pass was intercepted and run back in for the Dockers’ 2nd try and a half time lead of 15 – 3.

The game turned when the influential Sellick was injured and had to be replaced in the 46th minute, as the Dockers’ No 8 forced his way over for their 3rd try which was converted.

The Dorset team grew in confidence and stretched the Minety defence on numerous occasions, but Grayson’s men tackled like demons and refused to give up an inch without a fight.

As the game entered its last quarter it was Minety who dominated the territory but the villagers were unable to transform territorial advantage into points as move after move was thwarted by the fine Dockers’ defence.

Another scrummage win against the head took Minety within reach of the Dockers’ line but replacements Del Murray and Andy Darrall and then Garland were all halted just short.

In arguably the move of the game, Dorset passed their way right up to the Minety 22 and then fashioned a fine overlap move to allow their fly half to run in from 10 metres as the Dockers assumed complete control for 29 – 3.

Refusing to let their heads drop, Minety pushed on and a move involving McAllister, Simpson and winger Dave Cooke opened up the Dorset defence.

Cooke’s long pass in field allowed Hibbard to run through to score the villagers opening try as Garland’s conversion was successful, Dorset responded with another try but it was Minety who had the last word.

Ben Langridge bursting through three tackles to score a brilliant try. It ended 36-17 in Dorset's favour.

With both teams tiring, the game opened up and a series of missed tackles allowed the Dockers their 5th try, the No. 8 touching down beneath the posts.

Fittingly, it was Minety who finished the scoring. Attacking once again, they won a penalty and from Garland’s tap the ball went out to winger Ben Langridge, who burst through 3 tackles to score Minety’s 2nd try. Garland kicked the conversion and the game finished with the Dorset Dockers victorious by 36 – 17.