CIRENCESTER women’s 1st XI were back to their pre-Christmas best with a 4-1 win against Bristol University.

This win keeps the pressure on league leaders Hereford.

Bristol University started the brighter of the two teams forcing several short corners in the opening 10 minutes.

Intricate passing between juniors Megan Poole and Hannah Denning opened the Bristol defence and a lay off from Kath Fry was neatly converted by Kathy Jackson.

Continued pressure from Cirencester was rewarded when the club’s top scorer Fry doubled Cirencester’s lead.

Against the run of play Bristol pulled a goal back but their reprieve was short lived as Fry quickly grabbed her second goal.

Phoebe Workman and Hannah Jackson gave Bristol little chance of pulling a goal back and when Poole added a fourth the result was sealed.

Cirencester 2nd XI produced a solid away performance at Gloucester winning 3-2 with goals from Faye Webber (2) and Amber Birkett.

The 3rd XI maintained a clean sheet overcoming Cheltenham 4th XI 2-0.

There were standout performances from Izzy Muir and Isabelle Edwards with well taken scores from Edwards and Jenny Jones.

The men’s 1st XI had a goal fest match on their away trip to Hereford sharing the points in a 6-6 draw.

The uneven surface did not lend itself to the sort of flowing hockey Cirencester seek to play and as they adjusted the pacey front line of Hereford scored twice before Cirencester responded through Joel Brace.

A further Hereford goal was neutralised a score from Matt Hicks just before half time. 3-2 down, but a solo goal from Phil Makin brought the sides level only for defensive lapses to allow Hereford two goals.

Two well-worked short corners for Cirencester were scored through Jon Tirrill and Bob Lamble to bring the sides to 5-5.

A superb deflected goal from Alex Dennett put Cirencester in the lead for the first time, but they were unable to prevent a final response from Hereford.

The 2nd XI hosted Abergavenny and despite taking the lead after a quick move finished off by club captain, John Partridge, the quality of the home side’s hockey deteriorated.

Unable to execute passes and being caught in possession allowed the youthful Welsh side too many chances and at half time Cirencester were 3-1 down.

Stern words at half-time seemed to bolster the side and the second half was dominated by Cirencester with Robbie Webster finishing off a great dribble with a neat score.

Veteran, Pete Willett then added another to draw the sides level. Despite numerous chances, the side were unable to convert possession into goals and the points were shared.

A superb start by Cirencester’s strong 3rd XI squad saw them take the lead from a Tom Jeffries score and whilst visiting Newent equalised, Cirencester remained the stronger side.

However, the second half saw a different performance, eager to break down a solid Newent defence, gaps were left allowing Newent to score three quick goals. As heads went down, Newent took further opportunities running out clear 6-1 winners.

The 4th XI were unable to suppress a rampant and youthful Winchcombe side in a 6-0 thrashing that saw stalwart Neil Cheesewright suffer a broken nose, but still complete the game.