Goals from Tahvon Campbell and Reece Brown secured a straightforward 2-0 win for Forest Green Rovers’ development side over Swindon Town in the Central League.

Academy manager Scott Bartlett took the side for the Central League fixture at Cirencester Town’s Corinium Stadium and named a mixture of youth and players on the fringes of the first team.

It was the experienced heads who made the difference as Campbell netted within a minute of the restart before Brown secured the win.

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard:

Tahvon Campbell scored for FGR  Pic: Shane Healey/ Pro Sports Images

“It was a really good performance all round from everyone,” said Bartlett.

“We passed the ball really well in the first half without having the end product and it is something we talked about at half time, just being calmer in those areas.

“The boys who play in these games are sometimes a bit rusty with a lack of match practice and 90 minutes and the finishing and final third stuff is the last thing to come.

“We thought they did well second half and the manager was here, watching them and that’s what he wants to see Reece and Tahvon do.”

It was an even opening first period between the two sides as they both looked to dominate possession on the 4G pitch.

Rovers were restricted largely to efforts outside the box which left opposition goalkeeper Stuart Moore largely untested.

Forest Green started to take the control of the game as the half came to a close, with both Campbell and Jay Malshanskyj testing the goalkeeper in the final five minutes.

Both sides went into the break level pegging but it took less than two minutes for Rovers to make their mark on the scoreboard after the break.

Campbell, who had been the biggest threat in the first half,turned well on the edge of the box to create himself some space and he fired high and hard past a hapless Moore.

Rovers doubled their advantage just after the hour mark when a good move from back to front ended in Brown making it to the byline before beating Archie Matthews, who had barely been on the pitch a minute, curling it inside the far post from the tight angle.

Sam Hendy thought he had added a third for the visitors with just five minutes left when another good team passing move ended at the feet of the substitute whose curling effort rattled down off the crossbar and was cleared away.

“We had some good young academy players and some good pros out there as well so everyone had something to play for, which helps in games like this,” added Bartlett.

“The younger lads did well and that’s what motivates them to come in every day on time, work as hard as they do every day – it’s a long season for them – to have some minutes alongside the pros in games like this.

“Full credit to them today for approaching it in the right way and getting a good result.”

Rovers are next back in action in the Central League on Tuesday, March 13, when they travel to AFC Wimbledon.