Gloucester Premier League
Cirencester 16  Chipping Sodbury 26

ON a fine sunny day at the Whiteway, Cirencester entertained league leaders Chipping Sodbury, who arrived with easily the biggest side in the Gloucester Premier League.

In the early exchanges Cirencester were very physical, showing great commitment.

This resulted in the home side taking an early lead through an Iwan Thomas penalty.

But the top of the table side hit back with a surge of big forward runners which the young and lighter home side struggled to contain, Chipping Sodbury scored a try, which was converted 3-7.

Since the turn of the year, the youthful Cirencester side have played with great spirit and the will to win.

With great movement of the ball and all players buying into the style of play, Joe Essex, the enthusiastic Ciren winger, scored in the corner without a Sodbury player in sight, making the half time score 8-7.

The first score in the second half would be crucial in this tight encounter.

As in the first half, Ciren had plenty of possession and territory, and from such a position the ball was stripped by the Sodbury player and the counter attack on the blind side was decisive, with a crucial try scored 8-12.

Once again the hungry Ciren side came flooding back, with Ryan Brookes the ever improving back row forward to the fore, backed up by the very impressive and Ciren captain Matt Berry.

Thomas once again kicked another penalty 11-12.

The game then entered into a crucial period with Sodbury scoring two quick fire tries from Ciren errors and turn overs making the score 11-26.

Ciren deserved something for all their skill and hard work but with time ticking they had to deliver. With a well worked try down a congested narrow side saw Thomas scored his third try in as many games.

This was the last score of the game, and director of rugby Andy Deacon said: “Yet another game where the guys gave their all.

“The front row with Sean Beech, Noah Newman and Darren Stephens were outstanding.

Special mention must also go to centre Ben Ramsey who hit great lines, backed up all afternoon by great runs from Zeb Waite, and full back Adam Harrison who was always a threat from deep.

“James Firth worked his socks off at scrum half, but the man of the match award went to Ollie Grainger-Williams who put in a brave and outstanding performance.”

Cirencester seconds played away at Gordon League. Unfortunately the game ended early following a neck injury to Jake Keary who has since been given the all clear.

The recorded result stood at 26-8.

l On Tuesday night, Gloucester’s Welsh international hooker Richard Hibbard and Cherry and Whites centre Henry Trinder ran the club’s training session at the Whiteway.

“As part of the Gloucester Rugby community programme, we were pleased to welcome these two legends and I know the session will be enjoyed by all our senior players and coaching staff,” said Deacon.

This Saturday the Ciren clubhouse will be full.

“We have our President Lunch for members and VPs at 3pm during the Wales game before the England v Scotland match which kicks off at 4:45pm,” said Cat Hage the club’s vice chairman.

Also on Saturday Cirencester third team play Minchinhampton thirds at home in the semi-final of the Bill Adams Cup kick off at 2pm.