Swindon made the long trip to Sincil Bank and came away with a hard earned and thoroughly deserved point, writes Peter Mitchell.

The starting line-up was unchanged from the midweek win over Stevenage.

This was a high tempo game from the first kick, in front of a large partisan crowd, but Swindon showed immediately that they were more than ready for a tough encounter and were not going to be intimidated.

On 15 minutes Luke Norris, looking more energetic and involved than in recent games had a good shot on the turn that was deflected wide.

Unfortunately for the Town, there was a pivotal moment after 22 minutes that went against them. Matt Preston was caught out by a ball over the top and he was deemed to have brought down the speedy Matt Green as he went for goal. Both players went to ground together, and it seemed a harsh decision to top the penalty with a red card.

Frecklington duly converted the spot kick, although Riece Charles-Cook managed to get a hand to it. Swindon then immediately sacrificed a very disappointed Luke Norris for newcomer Rollin Menayese, who stepped into central defence as a replacement. It was a strange decision in some ways to replace Norris, rather than a wide-man, as Swindon were a goal down and needed  fire power to get back on terms. However, as against Crewe, the manager’s decision was fully vindicated by the end.

What a fortuitously timed signing Menayese may turn out to be. Signed on deadline day, on loan from Bristol Rovers, the young defender will now be available for the three games that Preston is likely to miss.

Town didn’t drop their heads and after 35 minutes, after a shot from Timi Elsnik was parried by the Lincoln keeper, poacher Marc Richards was on hand to smash home the equaliser. Three minutes later Ollie Banks drove forward and hit a 20-yard shot into the corner. Very much against the odds playing with ten men, Swindon had completed a tremendous comeback before half time.

There was an unusual and bizarre incident early in the second half when Lincoln striker Reid was preventing Charles-Cook from clearing the ball from his hands. However the referee awarded an indirect kick to the home side, inside the penalty area, on the basis that the Swindon keeper had retained the ball for more than the permitted 7 seconds!

The game had become frantic with ball after ball being launched into the Town box. As against Stevenage, Ben Purkiss, playing again as a central defender, was putting his considerable experience to valuable use.

Town were still launching counter attacks where possible and almost got a third in the last ten minutes. First substitute Mullin almost got on the end of a good interchange between Richards and Anderson and then Timi Elsnik’s dipping shot struck the top of the bar.

Just when it looked as though Town would deservedly hold out – and with Air Raid sirens blaring – Charles-Cook failed to keep hold of a corner and Bostwick touched in a late late equaliser.

This was rough justice for Swindon as they had defended resolutely for 70 minutes with only ten men and had given their all. After the game David Flitcroft spoke of his bitter disappointment that his team were returning with just the single point, but he was looking forward to picking the players up for another important match, against third placed Accrington, on Tuesday night.