SUTTON Benger came out on top 16-11 in a tightly fought contest against Frome seconds.

While the weather didn’t allow for free-flowing rugby, this was a closely fought spectacle that had both sets of spectators on edge for the duration of the game.

Benger took the lead with a 40-metre penalty in front of the posts, before skipper Callum Harford doubled Benger’s lead with a second penalty.

Frome then pulled back a penalty of the their own to make it 6-3.

Both sides continued to be evenly matched throughout the first half, cancelling each other out in all aspects of the game, in what were heavy conditions.

In the second half, it was Frome who struck first, finishing a well-worked backs move which created an overlap out wide.

Unfortunately for Frome, they failed to convert the try.

In a game that was full of errors from both sides, Benger scored their third penalty of the game only for Frome to respond with another penalty of their own and take an 11-9 lead.

For the last 20 minutes of the game, Benger struggled to find a way through a well drilled Frome defence.

When Benger had a penalty 15 metres out with ten minutes to go, they opted to run it but were kept out again once by Frome and it looked as though Benger were heading towards their second defeat of the season.

Thankfully for the Benger faithful, with three minutes to go, George Dent put a in a monstrous tackle on the Frome winger, who was in his 22, causing him to spill the ball back over his own line.

It was George who reacted quickest to put the ball down for a Benger try.

Callum Harford, who kicked exceptionally throughout the day, once again made the kick.

The game remained tight until the final whistle, with Benger having to defend valiantly on their own five-metre line for the last minutes of the game.

When the referee’s whistle finally blew, it brought great relief to the Benger team who had been forced to battle throughout in a game which could have gone either way.

With Calne’s game against Combe Down seconds postponed on Saturday, this win against Frome seconds saw Sutton Benger claim first spot in the league.

Benger face Devizes’ seconds on Saturday at home, a side they beat in an entertaining 32-31 last time out.

If anybody is interested in playing rugby for Sutton Benger, please contact 07900 810002.