MALMESBURY'S High Street has been transformed into an beautiful art gallery for the rest of the summer.

Town mayor Gavin Grant officially declared this year's High Street art trail open on Saturday, August 12.

The shops' windows are now adorned with colourful artworks which have been created by more than 30 local artists.

A contrast of modern and traditional pieces will be on display as well as a range of textures including glasswork and textiles.

Visitors can choose to browse the shops at their leisure or can follow the art trail map which starts at the Town Hall and finishes at the Market Cross.

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard:  Malmesbury Mayor Gavin Grant opens High Street art trial Malmesbury Mayor Gavin Grant opens High Street art trial (Image: Richard Harris)

This event has been organised by Malmesbury Town Council, led by Cllr Kim Power, to bring local shops and artists together. 

Former mayor Cllr Kim Power said: “Malmesbury and nearby villages have a wealth of talented artists.

"By organising the High Street Art Gallery, we are giving visitors a free opportunity to appreciate and even buy this fantastic local artwork.

"Also, it’s another fun reason to visit our historic town centre with its unique shops.

"Children especially enjoy following the art gallery map and spotting the artwork.”

Helen Chapman, who runs the Fabric Shack in the High Street, is delighted to be taking part in this year's arts trail.

She said: "We love this unusual and interesting way to discover Malmesbury's talented creators and it’s great to be able to play host as it adds interest to our window displays and helps promote what we offer. 

“I am a huge fan of our artist Jennifer Storer's work and the picture we have is in our colour scheme so I'm hugely tempted to get it myself!"

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard: Helen Chapman with the art of her dedicated artist Jennifer StorerHelen Chapman with the art of her dedicated artist Jennifer Storer (Image: Malmesbury Town Council)

All the art on display will be available to purchase at the Town Hall's Tourist Information Centre.

For every piece sold the shop will receive a 20% commission and the artist will receive the remaining 80%.

Once something displayed is sold it will then be replaced with another piece of artwork from the same artist.

An art trail guide can be downloaded on