A PUB in Cerney Wick have issued a statement after cannabis was found in a post-fire damage inspection. 

The fire service received a call from The Crown Inn at Cerney Wick on Sunday night, March 26, shortly after 11pm, after an electric fault caused the kitchen to go up in flames.

Four fire engines were sent to the Crown Inn from Cirencester, Fairford, Gloucester and Northleach. 

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard: The Crown Inn kitchen in flames The Crown Inn kitchen in flames (Image: The Crown Inn team)

Two fire engines from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue were also in attendance and approximately 25 fire fighters were at the scene.

Asha Indian Kitchen moved into the Crown Inn a month ago and kitted out the kitchen with new equipment including a fridge which is believed to have caused the electrical fault that initially started the fire. 

After the fire was put out the pub and neighbouring buildings were assessed for damage and during this inspection the firemen found a number of cannabis plants in one of the privately owned flats. 

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard: Fire engines at the scene of The Crown Inn fireFire engines at the scene of The Crown Inn fire (Image: The Crown Inn team)

Two men, aged 42 and 45, from the flat above were arrested on suspicion of production of Class B drugs and remain in custody. 

Police officers remained on the scene till Monday, March 27 collecting and bagging the evidence from the rooms. 

A spokesperson for The Crown Inn said: "The fire crews were on scene within minutes and swiftly tackled the flames.

"Sadly, this has left substantial damage but we are pleased that nobody was injured during the incident.

"An inspection was carried out by firefighters and subsequently, a small cannabis set-up was discovered in a privately owned flat above The Crown.

"This property has no connection with The Crown, its management or its staff."

The Relish Group's, parent company to the Crown X Asha project, director Robert Goves said: "The safety and well-being of our customers and employees is of the utmost importance to us.

"We are taking steps to ensure our kitchen is safe and operational again.

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard: The damage in The Crown Inn kitchen after the fireThe damage in The Crown Inn kitchen after the fire (Image: The Crown Inn team)

"In the meantime, we are exploring the possibilities of setting up a temporary ‘pop-up’ kitchen, somewhere in the Cotswold Waterpark, using the groups extensive event catering experience."

Foyez Rahman, manager at Asha Indian Kitchen, said: "We were devastated to find our kitchen had burned down, but the situation became even more complicated when the authorities discovered what was happening in the private property above.

“We do not condone the criminal activity taking place only yards away from our business and we are pleased it has now been dealt with.

"We now have to move on, dust ourselves down and reopen as soon as possible as it has been such a positive start, with support from the village and surrounding area.”