THE family of a Cotswold woman from who died from carbon monoxide poisoning are urging residents to service all carbon burning appliances during lockdown.

Katie Haines was 31 when a faulty boiler filled her home with carbon monoxide in 2010.

Her husband, who discovered the tragedy when he returned from work, and Katie’s parents set up the Katie Haines Memorial Trust to educate people about the dangers of the gas.

The family were concerned by the lack of public information films surrounding the subject.

Avril Samuel, Katie’s mother, said: “It’s so important to get all carbon burning appliances regularly maintained and service.

“During lockdown, especially through these darker days, many people are staying indoors, and these appliances are used to keep them warm or cook on.

“It is so easy for something to go wrong.

“I don’t know how many times people have told me that they thought carbon monoxide just came from a gas boiler.

“In our small village many people have log burners or open fires - it is so easy for a bird to make a nest in a chimney or other debris get stuck.”

Avril explains how the trust has already helped save lives, “In April, a few years ago, there were two incidents of CO alarms sounding in our very small village - one as a result of a boiler malfunctioning and another a problem with an AGA cooker.

“Fortunately, both sets of neighbours had an alarm because of Katie’s accident.”

The trust has recently donated over 400 carbon monoxide alarms to nearby fire stations and foodbanks.

Avril reminds everyone that it’s equally important that you use someone who is Gas Safe Registered when services are carried out.

She also urges residents to take part in CO Awareness Week from November 23-29.

Avril and the trust’s hope is to make sure everyone in UK understands the dangers of CO and takes steps to minimise the threat it poses.

For more information visit