A homeless teenager who took part in a weekend of violence against the police in Gloucestershire has avoided jail today after he admitted assaulting two constables on Saturday morning.

Joshua Rayalo headbutted a male police officer and lashed out at a female PC when a drunken birthday party at Cirencester got out of hand on Saturday, a court heard.

Rayalo, 19, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty at Cheltenham Magistrates court to assaulting PC Grant and PC Bellow at Peckham Walk, Cirencester, at 4.30am.

Prosecutor May Li said: "An 18th birthday party got out of hand and neighbours contacted the police to complain about the noise.

PC Grant and PC Bellow attended and politely asked some of the partygoers outside the property to keep the noise down.

"The defendant emerged from nearby bushes and approached the officers.

"He was agitated and angry and refused to go home when asked to do so," said Ms Li.

"The defendant headbutted PC Bellow and was handcuffed by the other officer.

"But he broke free and punched at both officers, despite having been sprayed with gas. The defendant was arrested and both officers were taken to A&E for treatment.

"The defendant did apologise afterwards," said the lawyer.

In a victim impact statement PC Grant said the assault made her angry and upset.

"I was just trying to carry out my duties and was trying to help the defendant. I did not expect such aggression and violence," she stated.

PC Bellow said that in 11 years of front line duty it was the worst assault he had experienced.

Defending lawyer Miguel Blanco said: "I saw the bodycam video at the police station and there was no shouting or swearing. But my client suddenly turned and headbutted the officer and then a fist fight ensued.

"There is no excuse for what happened. My client is remorseful.

"He realises that alcohol is his problem and he desperately wants help to address this."

District Judge Joti Boparai sentenced Rayalo to 12 weeks jail suspended for a year and ordered him to pay a total £150 compensation to the two officers.

He was also given a community order with six months drug rehabilitation requirement.

The incident was one of three across Gloucestershire at the weekend in which nine police officers were assaulted.