FOUR suspected thieves who sparked a major police chase through the streets of Cirencester last week, which involved helicopters, police dogs and 'armed police' have been released on bail. 

Three of the suspects, aged 15, 16, and 17 years old, all from Slough, were arrested on suspicion of theft.

A 21-year-old man from Plumstead was also arrested on suspicion of theft from a shop and possession of a class B drug.

All were took to Gablecross custody in Swindon and have since been released on bail while enquiries continue.

The incident occurred on Thursday, October 4, in Marlborough, just before midday when a group of men entered a Vodafone store in the High Street in the town.

Three mobile phones were ripped from the display stand, worth in the region of £2,000.


Hours later, police officers spotted the suspects in the Vodafone shop on Castle Street, in Cirencester, which led to a town-wide police chase.

Wiltshire police had called for their assistance after the suspects car was seen heading towards Cirencester.

A Gloucestershire police spokesperson said: "Wiltshire Police got in touch just after noon today following an incident in Marlborough, when three suspects stole three phones from a shop worth in the value of £2,000.

"They are believed to have made off in a silver VW Golf."

"Officers from Cirencester police station were deployed to the A417 and the town centre."


File image

Eye witnesses described the dramatic scenes in the town centre this lunchtime, suggesting that a number of cars, vans and a large number of officers were involved.

Police are all over the town,” said one witness. “There’s obviously something pretty big happening.”

As the drama unfolded, Cotswold Police tweeted to congratulate two colleagues who had been involved in a foot chase on the town’s streets.

“Round of applause to PCs Webb and Weedon who have just won a foot chase around Cirencester with two suspects wanted for mobile phone thefts today.”

PC’s Webb and Weedon chased are believed to have chased the suspected thieves through numerous streets before detaining them on Sheep Street.

The silver VW Golf was spotted and stopped on Sheep Street, where the driver was taken into custody.

"Knowing there was still a third person from the Vodafone shop in the area, a dog and helicopter were deployed," the police spokesperson continued.

"We received a call from a member of the public, and we managed to locate the fourth suspect in a garden between Ashcroft Gardens and Cricklade Street."

It is understood that a police dog and handler, and police helicopter were involved in the search which led to the man’s prompt arrest.

A reporter from The Standard saw police officers arresting the fourth man at the scene in Ashcroft Gardens after responding to reports of a number of vans and police cars in the area.

Thanking those involved for their hard work, the police spokesperson said: "Nothing in Cirencester was stolen thanks to the efforts of PC Webb and Weedon."

Anyone with information should call 101 and quote crime reference number 54180093782.