FIFTEEN members of staff at a Malmesbury bakery which closed down suddenly, have been made redundant.

The doors at the Old Bakehouse were locked last Thursday with a sign stating that the bakery had ‘temporarily closed due to some unforeseen urgent repairs which are beyond our control’.

But staff told the Standard that the business had been experiencing financial problems, resulting in bakers being left without flour and their wages not being paid on time.

Staff then received letters on Tuesday morning informing them that the business will close with immediate effect.

Some members of the Old Bakehouse team said they hadn’t received January’s wages and were concerned if they would arrive at all.

Julie Exton, Husband of Phil Exton, delivery driver for the Old Bakehouse said: “He (Phil) got a text late last night (Jan 31) saying not to come in tomorrow.

"He was then told to come into a meeting the following morning (Feb 1) to discuss the business.

“He delivers three times a week to dozens of shops in the area, so it won’t just affect The Old Bakehouse.

“Six to eight people have resigned from a previous bakery where people took him to court over unpaid wages.

“I’m worried whether Phil will get paid."

Company Director of the Old Bakehouse in Malmesbury Nicholas Gould, runs a number of other similar businesses, including The Endacott Bakery in Okehampton and the Oven Door Bakery in Hampshire that has been closed since December.

Ray Naughton, who was the confectioner at the Oven Door Bakery said: “Nicholas Gould took us over in June 2016.

“We had problems with the wages, not getting our slips, getting paid the wrong amount.

“I was suspended in July, but the suspension was unfounded, and he has never responded to me regarding it.

“I haven’t been paid from August onwards and the business sadly closed on December 20.

“He blacked out the windows and left a note saying temporarily closed for refurbishments.

“I walk past the bakery every day, the note is still there.

“He has ruined people’s lives and he owes me thousands in wages.”

Mr Gould declined to comment when contacted by The Standard.