TO MARK National No Smoking Day this week this Wednesday, Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service has issued a reminder on the danger of lit cigarettes in the home.

The service is reminding people that the best way to avoid fires caused by cigarettes is to stop smoking altogether or to only smoke outside.

Top causes of fires due to cigarettes include smoking in bed, inappropriate objects being used as ashtrays and lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes being thrown away before they are fully out.

To prevent dangerous fires the service also recommended all homes check they have working smoke alarms or to arrange a free home safety fire check.

For more information call 0800 389 7849 or visit