CIRENCESTER lifted the Senior Cup in a low-scoring final game against Painswick played at Dursley RFC.

Stroud Combination Senior Cup Final

Cirencester 15

Painswick 7

Cirencester started on the front foot and within five minutes had scored the first try with the forwards securing good ball and James Fisher finding space to nip through.

With the wind blowing straight down the pitch and the occasional shower, the game became disjointed with several knock-ons from both sides in the first 15 minutes.

Cirencester had the edge in the backs and Luke Lester-Powell should have extended the lead only to drop the ball over the line.

With 18 minutes gone Painswick had a player sin-binned as the referee lost patience after the fifth penalty.

Painswick's pack were getting on top at the scrum, however, and from a back-row move they would have crossed the line but for a good cover tackle from Seb Genillard forcing the player into touch.

With Painswick down to 14, Cirencester extended their lead to 10 points when Sam Hill broke off the back of a maul and crossed the try line with 28 minutes gone.

To their credit Painswick's heads did not drop and their wing found space to dart through and score under the posts for an easy converted try to make the half-time score 10-7.

In the second half Cirencester had the wind in their favour and some clever kicking from Gareth Parry and Fisher left Painswick attacking from deep.

With Cirencester camped five metres from the line the Painswick hooker was then sent to the bin. Ciren went for the tap-and-go option and Rhys Owen scored out wide to extend the lead to 15-7.

Painswick, still with 14 men, rose to the challenge and after a series of penalties it was Cirencester's turn to have a player binned for not going back the correct distance.

Painswick continued to make inroads in the Cirencester 22 but could never break through and with veteran Tim Thompson coming on to replace the binned prop – to the evident joy of the supporting minis – Cirencester were able to hold on.