RISING star Jordan Weaving secured his second win of the season in the British Motostar Championship to extend his lead in the series, writes Alannah Fellows.

Following a disrupted second qualifying practise session due to poor weather conditions at Knockhill in Scotland, the 16-year-old Cirencester Deer Park pupil started from second on the grid.

However, just minutes before the start, pole position man Joe Irving was forced to start from the back of the grid, leaving Weaving with a clear run to the line. Getting a strong start, Weaving led the race into the first corner and didn’t look back.

On his Jordan Racing KTM Moto3 machine, the South African teenager got into a smooth rhythm and was able to hold off the hard-charging Irving for the 22 laps of the short circuit, crossing the line 1.4 seconds ahead.

Weaving explained: “The race started off well, I began to get into a good rhythm and was able to pull out a little gap.

"I did lose the rhythm and the gap between myself and Irving closed. But I fought hard for the win and am happy I got it.

"The team did a fantastic job this weekend. I hope I can take this form into the next round.”

Weaving heads to Brands Hatch for the fifth round of the championship with a 20-point lead over Irving in the standings.

CIRENCESTER’S Josh Day secured a solid top-10 finish in the National Superstock 1000 series at Knockhill.

Day was hampered in qualifying on Saturday by the poor weather and the 27-year-old rider and his Be Wiser Kawasaki could do no better than 13th position on the grid.

Making a strong start under cloudy Fife skies, Day was able to hold his position on the opening circuit of the 24-lap race.

He than began to work his way through the field and became locked in an eight-bike battle.

Day crossed the line in ninth position after an audacious last-lap move at the front of his group.

Day said: “I came here ready and was looking forward to the weekend, but we made the wrong decision on gearing in first practice so we missed some time there.

"We made some changes for first qualifying but knew we had more to come. Unfortunately, the weather took a turn for the worse on Saturday and our second session was wet.

"I ended up third in that but obviously they take our dry qualifying positions for the grid so I was 13th.

"We made some set-up changes for the warm-up but they weren’t right so we went back to the drawing board.

"I got a really good start and was running in a good place but I got arm pump, something I’ve never suffered with before and it caused me to lose several places.

"I tried to relax in the closing stages of the race and the arm pump eased and I was able to make a pass on the last lap for ninth.”