CHQ UNITED look certain to retain their Division One title in the M4 Karting Cirencester & District league after they moved to the top of the table over the weekend without kicking a ball!

Their scheduled opponents and nearest challengers South Cerney cancelled the game due to insufficient players being available and therefore had a point deducted.

With their reserve players unwilling to fulfil the fixture, a further points sanction may follow. CHQ are now level on points with Cerney, but have three games in hand.

This situation means that there is now a close battle for the runners-up spot with Bibury Reserves and Poulton in contention despite these two sides drawing 0-0 on Saturday.

Bibury enjoyed most of the play but lacked the killer finish and were almost punished near the end when Rob Paget had a glorious chance, only to pull his shot wide of the post.

The Beeches warmed up for their two forthcoming cup semi final ties with a convincing 6-2 victory over Oaksey, despite the visitors taking a first-minute lead through Dan Pike.

Division One's leading goal scorer Danny Gudger led the recovery with two goals and there was a further brace from Stuart Robinson and strikes from Luke Crosbee and Kevin O'Malley. Jake Pinnell claimed Oaksey's other goal.

Stratton United ended their campaign with another defeat, this time at home to Lechlade who won 6-1 with goals from Tom Maskell (3), Liam Moor (2) and Ben Wilson. Ben Collett got Stratton's consolation.

Despite being relegated, Stratton deserve much credit for the spirit and sportsmanship that they have shown this season, and also an excellent disciplinary record.

In Division Two, as we move into the final games of the season, Kingshill Sports and Siddington Sports Veterans continue to contest the title and both recorded good victories. Leaders Kingshill won 4-0 at Lechlade Reserves, and the Veterans beat CHQ United Reserves 6-0.

In the other game played, South Cerney Reserves beat Tetbury Town III 2-0.

Down Ampney suffered their 11th defeat of a disappointing campaign when they lost 3-1 at Oaksey Reserves.

A Ben Wood volley put the home side in front, and Bradley Wickson was unlucky to see his 45 yard shot bounce off the crossbar, before George Jenkins increased the lead. Wickson did get on the score sheet in the second half, and a late own goal gave the visitors a consolation.

There were two cup semi final ties decided last week. In the Senior Charities, CHQ United overcame a weakened Poulton side 4-0, with Chris Saunders and Troy Weaven both scoring twice. With the League title virtually in their hands, they chase a unique treble with the finals of the Senior Charities and Arthur Shipway Cups coming up at the end of the month.

In the Junior Charities Cup, CHQ United Reserves triumphed over Down Ampney 2-1 in a close encounter, thanks to goals from Andy Easton and David Legg, with Dan Read getting Ampney's reply.