Check electric blankets warning follows two fires in Wiltshire

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard: Check electric blankets warning follows two fires in Wiltshire Check electric blankets warning follows two fires in Wiltshire

HOUSEHOLDERS are being advised to take extra care with electric blankets after two bedroom fires in Wiltshire.

One incident involved a house in Highworth early on Sunday morning while the other was in Swindon on Friday night. The elderly residents were checked by paramedics for smoke inhalation, but escaped injury.

Wiltshire Fire Service watch manager Neil Chamberlain said: “These two people were very lucky, as the fires were discovered quite quickly and the damage was contained.

“Electric blankets can be a serious fire hazard if they’re old or not maintained properly, so we would urge anyone who owns one to make sure it is safety checked every year. If you’re in doubt, you should buy a new one.”

The fire service website at wiltsfire.gov.uk has more information on home fire safety, including electric blankets and home visits.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree