Cirencester college gets £1.5m funding boost
4:00pm Saturday 20th April 2013 in Cotswolds news
A COTSWOLDS college is celebrating after being awarded £1.5m in government funding.
Cirencester Sixth Form College announced last week it had secured the funding from the government’s Education Funding Agency (EFA) for the second phase of it building work at the Fosse Way Campus.
Another 12 new classrooms will be built adjoining the new block due to open this September – which was also funded by a £1.5m grant from the EFA – with building work due to start immediately.
Principal Kim Clifford said she was "delighted" the college had secured the funding.
"This is a real boost for the College and for education in Cirencester," she said. "With the opening of the first phase of classrooms this September we have been able to move our provision from the castle so that all our classes are now delivered on one site."
She added the investment would mean many of the temporary classrooms – which she described as "not fit for purpose" – could be removed.
"For the third phase of our three-year accommodation strategy we hope to secure funding for a new sports hall which will create a modern campus and a great experience for our students," she said.
Marketing officer Sara Popp said the closure of its castle site on Cecily Hill meant all the college’s students would be located on the same campus and that the new classrooms would help make this transition easier.
“We think all being in one place will offer the students a better experience overall,” she said.
The new classrooms are expected to be completed in February 2014.