Chesterton woman and pets saved from house fire
A CIRENCESTER woman had to be saved from her bedroom window after a fire broke out at her home in the early hours of this morning.
The woman from Drift Way in Chesterton was trapped upstairs in her home along with her pet dog and cat when the fire broke out just after midnight today (October 19).
She made a distressed call to the fire services after she was awoken by her fire alarm.
Two appliances from Cirencester Fire Station with a total of 11 personnel and Watch Commander Avis attended the incident, along with a further fire crew from Tetbury Fire Station.
The crews rescued the woman from her bedroom to safety. The dog and cat were also rescued by firefighters.
The female was then assessed by Great Western Ambulance Service and later taken to hospital.
Watch Commander Avis stated that the fire was caused by an unattended pan that had burnt itself out, however it had caused a considerable amount of smoke resulting in the smoke alarm going off and the womans' room being heavily smoke logged.
The crews were on scene for approximately 40 minutes.
Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue service offers free home fire safety checks and fits smoke alarms free of charge. If you know someone who may benefit from this service, call free phone 0800 180 4140. Please remember to get the permission of the nominee if you are nominating someone else for a home fire safety check.