Mirror caused devastating manor fire
10:58am Tuesday 11th September 2012 in News
THE BLAZE that destroyed a significant part Luckington Manor on Friday, is thought to have been caused by sunlight reflecting off a mirror.
Firefighters from all over the area fought for hours to save the listed building near Malmesbury and salvage possessions after the fire started in a master bedroom.
Stn Manager Jack Nicholson explained: “Where you have a mirror or any other glass object, such as an ornament, that is curved, this allows the glass to act as a lens. When the sunlight hits it, it becomes concentrated, and if the rays are bounced onto something flammable, such as curtains or bedding, then a fire can start.”
He added: “Mirror or glass ornament with a convex or concave curve in it should never be left on a windowsill or any surface by a window.”