WILTSHIRE Fire Service has issued a warning after being called out to numerous grass fires around the county during the hot weather.

One recent incident near Chiseldon was started by a discarded barbecue. On Thursday eight crews endured sweltering conditions as they battled a blaze in a field of crops at Shrewton near Amesbury.

And earlier this month a hedge fire in Corston was thought to have been caused by a discarded cigarette.

Area manager Ian Jeary said: “The sunshine is wonderful but it means the countryside is tinder dry and any fire will spread incredibly quickly, often causing a great deal of damage to land and property.

“We are urging people to take real care while out and about. A few moments thought can make all the difference.”

The brigade has is advising people not to have open fires unless they are in a designated safe area, to ensure cigarettes are properly put out, not to throw cigarettes out of cars, not to leave bottles or glass in fields or woodlands and to report any fires they see immediately.

Visit wiltsfire.gov.uk/countrysidesafety for more advice, including a reminder of the Countryside Code.