AN ELDERLY Fairford man suffered a heart attack after his stroke-victim son put a knife to his throat during a row, a court heard today.

Jeremy Lee-Browne, of Wesson Place, Fairford, had suffered periods of depression and anger - often directed at his 82-year-old dad Martin - since he had his stroke in 2010, Gloucester crown court was told.

Feelings came to a head on April 27 this year when Lee-Browne went to his father's High street home in Fairford and held a lock knife to his throat.

Mr Lee-Browne senior, who suffers from angina, was admitted to Cirencester Hospital after the incident and was later transferred to Swindon Hospital after suffering a heart attack.

Lee-Browne, 54, admitted guilty charges of common assault and possession of an article with a point or blade and he was given a nine months jail term suspended for two years.

Judge William Hart also imposed a two year supervision order and told Lee-Browne he must not go to his parents house for six months.

Mr Maunder said the row broke out when Lee-Browne was asked to move his belongings from a house nextdoor to his parents to make way for builders.

"This defendant is 54 years old and in 2010 he suffered a stroke," said Mr Maunder. "The effects seem to have manifested themselves in aggressive behaviour, particularly towards his father.

"They had exchanged some texts about moving belongings and the defendant had refused to do so."

He said Lee-Browne went to his parents home and swore at his father. He left but returned with a knife which he held to the left side of his father's neck.

"Mr Lee-Browne senior told the defendant not to be silly, to put the knife away and he walked away," Mr Maunder said.

The father, who suffers from angina, was later admitted to Cirencester Hospital in the aftermath, before being transferred to Swindon after having a heart attack.

Mr Maunder said: "He believed it had contributed to the heart attack but did not cause it."

Lee-Browne had been given a caution by police last year after smashed six of the windows at their home.

Gareth James, defending, said Lee-Browne had been unemployed since suffering from cancer, a heart attack and then the stroke, but before that he had a successful career as a software engineer and was a happily married man "His health has affected him with mood swings and it has been a strained relationship.

"He says it has been strained since he was sent off to boarding school as a child, but this has brought it to a head.

"It very much appears that both mother and father do remain supportive. Both of them have made reference to him needing help to address the problems.

"This is his first major contact with the criminal justice system and it has been a salutary lesson.

"Since April 30 he has been in a bail hostel and he has found it quite difficult.

"He accepts he has caused a great deal of upset for his parents and he wants to apologise for that."

Judge Hart said it was clear Lee-Browne's considerable health problems had caused him depression and to behave in an uncharacteristic way.