BUSINESSES across Cirencester were celebrated last weekend at a prestigious awards ceremony and dinner.
The fourth annual Cirencester Business Awards, organised by the Chamber of Commerce, was held last Friday, May 16 at the Royal Agricultural University.
Successful businesses received their trophies after a three course dinner provided by the university.
Categories for this year’s awards included Entertainment Experience of the Year, Green Business of the Year and Team of the Year.
The Standard was proud to sponsor the Customer Service Award for another year and received nominations for over 20 businesses in the town.
This year the award, which was voted for entirely by the public, was presented to Michael Hart and Son Butchers. The Bishops Walk butchers pulled in almost 100 votes out of 372 nominations.
The shop was described by customers as “wonderful”, with “friendly service” and with one customer saying it is “always a joy to shop there”.
"We are elated and chuffed to bits that the people we serve think that much of us," said manager Christian Alba. "The staff have worked really hard to get to where we've got to in just three and a half years. We're over the moon."
Planet Games, also on Bishops Walk, was announced as runner-up in the award.
Various businesses across town were surprised and delighted to receive their trophies from the Chamber of Commerce. Entertainment Experience of the Year went to New Brewery Arts, Business Person of the Year was awarded to graphic designer Simon May and New Business of the Year was presented to Dolcetti Ice Cream Company.
“This year’s awards were a tremendous success,” said President of Cirencester Chamber of Commerce Anthony Flynn. “Feedback on the night was extremely positive and the atmosphere was just as I had hoped for.
“We were very grateful for all the entries, and of course our congratulations to all the winners. I am keen to see these awards develop and so we are already looking towards 2015,” he added.
“The Chamber is growing and the journey has begun. Thanks to all those who are with us.”
Also winners this year were Cirencester College young enterprise students with their marketing agency business TagVertise who were awarded New Innovation of the Year and St James's Place which was awarded the Cirencester Chamber of Commerce Award.
Full list of winners
- Entertainment Experience of the Year - Winner: New Brewery Arts - Runner-up: Ingleside Heritage Ltd
- Innovation of the Year – Winner: TagVertise - Runner-up: ShirtSmart
- PR and Marketing Campaign of the Year – Winner: Cotswold Open Studios - Runner-up: Neon Play
- Business Person of the Year – Winner: Simon May of May Media - Runner-up: Simone Price of Active 4 less
- Team of the Year – Winner: Soaring Worldwide - Runner-up: Athena Web Designs and Fly 2 Help
- Green Business of the Year – Winner: Magna Partnership Ltd
- New Business of the Year - Winner: Dolcetti Ice Cream Company Ltd - Runner-up: Firestarter Business Solutions Ltd
- Young Business Person of the Year – Winner: Emily Hepworth of Persephone Violet - Runner-up: Julie Kinsella of CB Slade
- Wilts & Glos Standard Customer Service Award – Winner: Michael Hart & Son Butchers - Runner-up: Planet Games
- Business and Professional Life Cirencester Ambassador - Winner: Oli Christie of Neon Play and Rock the Cotswolds
- Cirencester Scene Creative Champions Award – Winner: Kay Ransom of Kay Ransom Photography
- Cirencester Chamber of Commerce Award – Winner: St James’s Place
Look out for features on individual award winners in upcoming editions of The Standard.