NEW contractors are being sought to finish off the remaining building work at Cirencester’s long overdue skate park after the company behind the project fell into administration.
Building work on the skate complex, which was originally intended for completion last December, had been blighted by constant weather and has now been put on hold ever since 1Skatepark entered financial difficulties.
The firm, which was brought in to design and construct the park, announced that it had gone into administration on Monday, February 10.
“Obviously we are now exploring what elements of the park can be completed and by whom. We are looking at having different companies doing different things,” he said.
It is understood that the remaining work on the skate park should only take another two to three weeks to complete, providing the weather remains settled.
Speaking about the demise of 1Skatepark, Mr Tubb said: “There was no warning from them. As far as we were concerned, everything was going really well. Obviously the bad weather didn’t help them. In effect, they just had to stop.”
Despite the setbacks, he remained confident that the skate park would be completed inside the allocated budget.
Building work began on the £200,000 park began in October although the idea had been in talks for over seven years.
Once completed, the park, which was joint funded by the town council and Sport England, will cover an area of 900sqm and will offer around 20 different obstacles of up to 1.35m in height.
It will contain a circular circuit and feature a Roman Corinium pillar seating centrepiece along with newly installed floodlights that will allow used to carry on skating until 9pm.
A formal unveiling of the park will take place in the summer and it is hoped that a number of pro-skaters will be on hand to cut the ribbon.
For more information, visit www.cirencester.gov.uk.