Blazing house fire on Digbeth Street, Stow-on-the-Wold

First published in News
Last updated

FIREFIGHTERS battled a blazing fire at The Porch House, a hotel on Digbeth Street in Stow-on-the-Wold earlier today (Wednesday, March 5).

A total of six fire engines attended the scene this afternoon; four from Gloucestershire and two from Oxfordshire.

Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue station commander Steve Bateman said the fire had started in the extractor fan of the cooker which had caused a flash inside the fan.

"The fire then went all through the fan, which stretches all across the hotel and got into the roof space," he said. "No-one was injured though and everyone was evacuated safely."

Matt Acet, the building's office manager, said he first noticed the fire through the alarms ringing.

"It's good to know our new alarm system is working," he said. "We don't know what damage has been done yet but it's going to be a reasonably big repair job."

The fire was controlled in several hours.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree