Man flown to hospital with burns following bonfire accident in Malmesbury
4:04pm Wednesday 23rd October 2013 in News
A MAN was airlifted to hospital after accidentally setting himself ablaze as he tried to get a bonfire going.
The victim suffered serious burns to his head, face and hands in the incident on land at Filands, shortly before 5pm on Thursday.
“We got the call to a man on fire,” said Malmesbury Fire Station watch manager Chris Harvey. “But when we got there he had managed to put himself out and there was a lady, one of his co-workers, administering first aid.
“She had his hands in the sink with water and covered with towels.”
The firefighters took over administering first aid until paramedics arrived on the scene. An air ambulance flew the injured man to a specialist burns centre at Frenchay for treatment.
It is understood the victim was burning off cuts in an oil drum and threw petrol on it. He was enveloped in flames after spilling the fuel on himself and his clothing.
.“With fireworks night just around the corner we want to remind people not to use petrol or highly flammable fuels to light bonfires,” said Mr Harvey.