Memorial bench unveiled in Quenington for woman who died of asbestos related cancer
A GRIEVING husband whose wife died following prolonged exposure to asbestos dust has put up a memorial bench in her memory.
John Moaby, 71, had the bench built on Quenington’s village green as a lasting tribute to his late wife Yvonne who died from mesothelioma, an incurable form of lung cancer, in 2010 aged 63.
“She was a very brave lady. Throughout her illness she always said that she wasn’t going anywhere,” said John.
John hopes that the bench will also raise awareness amongst Quenington residents of just how devastating the disease can be.
John said: “It isn’t curable. It takes a very long time to find it and when the doctors do find it, they have to tell you that there’s nothing they can do.”
Mother-of-three Yvonne contracted the disease after years of washing her husband’s asbestos covered overalls.
Having worked as an electrician removing and repairing storage heaters, John was in close proximity to asbestos on a regular basis.
Earlier this year the Moaby family received an out-of-court compensation settlement of £187,500 from John’s former employers Scottish and Southern Energy.
The bench, which was made specifically by a company in Kent, will feature a brass plaque with an inscription dedicated to Yvonne.
Comments are closed on this article.