South Swindon (House of Commons)
Mr Robert Buckland MP (Conservative)
Surgery: 1 Milton Road
Surgery Tel: 01793 533393
MP Since - 2010 Majority - 3,544 Born - 1968, Llanelli, Married (Sian), 2 children (twins - Millicent and George).
Education - Old Road County Primary School, Llanelli, St Michael's School, Bryn, Hatfield College, Durham University (BA Hons Law), Inns of Court School of Law.
Previous Occupation - Barrister (criminal law). Called to Bar, Inner Temple (1991). Member, Iscoed Chambers, Swansea (1992-99), 30 Park Place Chambers, Cardiff (1999-2007), Apex Chambers, Cardiff (2007-). Recorder, Midland Circuit (2009-10).
Personal Overview - His professional background as a barrister is likely to place him well for his new Parliamentary duties as an MP. He has extensive political campaigning experience and some as an elected representative having served a term as a Dyfed County Councillor. His 2005 campaign for his present seat successfully cut away 6,000 votes out of the previous Labour majority of 7,300, though he did have the advantage of not facing an incumbent MP in the wake of Julia Drown's decision to stand down following her disillusionment over the anemic role of the modern Commons backbencher. He has a wide range of political interests across the major themes of current political discourse, his only potential friction with the mainstream of the Conservative Parliamentary Party is with his pro-European stance.
Political History - Parliamentary Agent, Llanelli Conservatives (1987), Chairman, Llanelli Conservative Association (1993-96), Chairman, South West Wales Conservatives (1998-2000), Dyfed County Councillor (1993-96), European Parliament Candidate, South West Wales (1994), Wales Region (1999), Parliamentary Candidate, Islwyn by-election (1995), Preseli Pembrokeshire (1997), Swindon South (2005), Member for Swindon South (2010-). Member of the Justice Select Committee (2010-13). Member of the Statutory Instruments Select Committee (2010-). Member of the Joint Committee on Statutory Instruments (2010-). Member of the Joint Committee on Consolidation Bills (2010-). Member of the Standards & Privileges Select Committee (2012-).
Characteristics - Cricket fan - Glamorgan and England. Rugby Union - Llanelli Scarlets RFC. Political groupings - Member of the Tory Reform Group, Conservative Group for Europe, and the Foreign Affairs Forum. Governor, The Ridgeway School, Wroughton.
Business Tel: 020 7219 7168
Mr Robert Buckland MP (Conservative) on Twitter
Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard has no responsibility or control over the content on external blogging sites, but you can contact us if you have a complaint.
- Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (Member)
- Consolidation Bills: Joint Committee (Member)
- Statutory Instruments Committee (Member)
- Standards & Privileges Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Autism (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Cannabis and Children (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Child Abduction (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Disability Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Education Governance and Leadership (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary European Union Group (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Faith and Society (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Female Genital Mutilation (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Global Education for All (Member)
- Gurkha Welfare Group (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Heritage Rail (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Housing (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Human Trafficking (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Huntington's Disease (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Infrastructure (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Learning Disability (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Legal and Constitutional Affairs (Member)
- Libraries Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Life Sciences (Member)
- Mobile Homes Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Outsourcing and Shared Services (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Pancreatic Cancer (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Prison Health (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Social Work (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Speech and Language Difficulties (Member)
- United Kingdom Overseas Territories Group (Member)
South West (European Parliament)
Earl William of Dartmouth MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 23/09/49. 10th Earl of Dartmouth.
Education - Eton. Christchurch College, Oxford. Harvard Business School.
Previous Occupation - Chartered Accountant, working in the United Arab Emirates (1975-77). Worked in the US for 6 years before returning to work in the UK in 1983 in finance, property and communications. Director, Hanson Transport. Chairman and Founder of Kirklees Cable.
Personal Overview - Former Conservative Peer who defected to the UK Independence party successfully gained election to the European Parliament at the 2009 elections. From a background in accountancy, he has worked in several countries, including the United Arab Emirates and US. A former Hereditary Peer, he lost his seat in the House of Lords in November 1999 in the Lords reforms of that year. Having reinvented himself as a UK Independence member he has the opportunity to use his accountancy skills to highlight any financial issues within the EU.
Political History - General Election candidate (Conservative) for Leigh (February 1974), Stockport South (October 1974). Succeeded his father to became a member of the House of Lords (1997-99). European Parliament candidate (1999). Joined the UK Independence Party (2007). Current prospective parliamentary candidate for Exeter. MEP South West Region (2009-). Member of the Committee on International Trade (2009-). Substitute member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Other Information - At Oxford he was elected Secretary of the Oxford Union.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: 32(0)2 28 49735
Interests: Business & Finance
- Foreign Affairs (Substitute)
- International Trade (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org