Southern Premier

Poole Town 2

Cirencester Town 1

UNBEATEN Poole Town went to the top of the Southern Premier League with a 2-1 victory over Cirencester Town on Tuesday night – but it could all have been so different.

Cirencester led with the only goal of a competitive and lively first half – a classy finish from Aidan Bennett – and by the hour mark they were looking comfortable as Poole had apparently run out of ideas.

But the appearance of pacy substitute Luke Roberts changed the game. He scored in the 68th minute soon after coming on and was involved in the build-up to the hosts’ winner from Jamie Whisken four minutes later.

The Dolphins had made the brighter start to the game and Cirencester were thankful that Glyn Garner was in top form, keeping out a Luke Burbidge long-range effort in the 20th minute, while he produced an even better one-handed save from Bournemouth loanee Josh O’Hanlon 10 minutes later.

However, a poor goal kick from Nick Hutchings led to the visitors stunning the home crowd in the 34th minute, Bennett cutting in from the right before scoring a cracker.

Visibly lifted, the Centurions were in command at the beginning of the second half and Poole were showing no sign of getting back in the game.

One negative for the visitors was the substitution of the unlucky Henry, who had missed the previous game with illness and this time was forced off the field in the 52nd minute after taking a knock which required lengthy treatment.

Henry was replaced by Shane Anson, who was himself making a first appearance of the season after injury.

Poole threw on Roberts around the hour mark and his appearance proved the game changer.

In the 68th minute he found the back of the net with a decent shot and while Ciren were still licking their wounds Poole captain Whisken converted a left wing cross for the Dolphins winner.

Cirencester Town: Garner, Jones, Prictor, Elliott, Hooper, Henry, (Anson, 52), Edge, Bennett, Jarvis, Liddiard, Williams. Unused subs: Wells, Reid, Bumphrey.